Join Drs. Karen Rice and Duane Hagelgnas on a disaster recovery experience to Puerto Rico this Summer 2018. This 7-day global service-learning program will focus on hurricane relief and interact with themes of land rights, environmental justice, Puerto Rico-US relationships, social change, democratic citizenship, leadership, and international development. This program will most likely actively involve re-building mangrove forests that were destroyed by the recent Hurricane Maria. In addition, there may be other clean up or rebuilding activities related to communities near the forests. Participants will spend the week based in and around San Juan meeting with local community and professional leaders; serve 30+ hours for local organizations on the frontline of community development; and explore the country and culture through field trips and community events.
- Service experiences
- Mangrove nursery
- Piñones lagoon
- Tour of Vietnam and canal/boat community
- Piñones Beach
- Castillo San Felipe del Morro
- Explore Old San Juan
This program is a service learning experience and is not offered for academic credit, however, students interested in participating in this program for credit, should contact Dr. Karen Rice at (717) 871-5297, Karen.Rice@millersville.edu or Dr. Duane Hagelgnas at (717) 871-7536, Duane.Hagelgans@millersville.edu to discuss their options.
June 9 - June 16, 2018
Application Deadline: EXTENDED DEADLINE January 30, 2018
The cost for this program is $1,900
For a detailed cost breakdown, please review the following MU Guided: Puerto Rico - Cost Worksheet
This cost includes:
This cost does not include:
- In-country transportation
- In-country activities/excursions
- Most meals
- International Student Identity Card (ISIC)
- Transportation to/from US airport
- Passport (How to apply for a passport)*
- Personal expenses (souvenirs and other daily expenses)
- Some meals (to/from US airport)
*If you do not have a passport, you must apply for one immediately. Keep in mind that it takes 4-6 weeks to receive a passport.
|$300 (Non-refundable fee applied toward cost)
||December 15, 2017
||February 2, 2018
||February 23, 2018
||March 23, 2018
Review the detailed payment instructions in the application located on the Global Education Portal.
Housing is arranged by Amizade, the program provider. All participants will stay together in a house or local hotel for all 7 nights, depending on availability of accommodations.
Study Abroad Eligibility Criteria
To review the full Millersville University study abroad policy, please view the Governance Manual webpage
- Students must have completed a minimum of 24 college credits (individual programs may have higher requirements) prior to departure. Credit requirements for faculty/staff-led programs (Guided Programs) can be reduced. Students may submit their application for the upcoming study abroad term during the semester in which they complete the minimum credit requirements.
- Students must have a cumulative 2.0 GPA at time of application (individual programs may have higher requirements), and maintain their GPA prior to departure.
- Students must be in good judicial standing. The opportunity to study abroad may be denied based on a student’s judicial standing with the University as defined in the Student Code of Conduct. Judicial standing will be evaluated at the time of the student’s initial application and monitored before his/her departure until the student returns from their experience abroad. A student is required to abide by MU’s Code of Conduct while abroad. Any incidents while abroad that violate MU’s Code of Conduct will be processed by Millersville’s Judicial Affairs Office. If a student is required to withdraw from a study abroad program for academic or conduct reasons, either before or after the program officially begins, no money will be refunded. Note: A suspension from MU encompasses all university activities, which includes study abroad.
- Students must demonstrate the personal maturity, responsibility, cross-cultural understanding, and the stress management skills necessary for a successful study abroad experience.
- Students must pay all applicable fees. This includes but is not limited to application fees, participation fees, and the fee for international health and travel insurance through MU’s insurance provider.
- Students must successfully complete the pre-departure process after approval is granted by Global Education. For students who do not complete the pre-departure process, Global Education reserves the right to revoke their program approval.
Complete an application using the Global Education Portal by clicking "Apply Now" at the top or bottom of this page.
The deadline for completing all application materials is EXTENDED DEADLINE January 30, 2018.
For specific questions about the program details, contact Dr. Karen Rice for additional information at (717) 871-7307 or email Karen.Rice@millersville.edu.
For specific questions about the study abroad process, contact Global Education at (717)-871-7506 or e-mail Global.Education@millersville.edu.