Funding Study Abroad
General Cost of Study abroad
The estimated cost of attending Millersville and living on campus for one semester: $14,000
This cost is based off of Millersville University's official Cost of Attendance supplied by the Financial Aid Office.
The estimated average cost for one study abroad semester: $12,000 - $20,000
This costs depends on length, location, term, cost of living in location, and included activities and excursions.
Cost of Attending Millersville 1 Semester - Updated for 2020-2021 Academic Year:
|ITEM||MILLERSVILLE||AIFS GRANADA, SPAIN|
|Tuition & Fees (In-state)||$6,125 (15 credits)||$10,195 (15 credits)|
|On-Campus Housing (Double Suite)||$4,390||Included (Homestay)|
|On-Campus Meal Plan (Default)||$2,100||Included (3 Meals a day)|
|Books & Supplies||$500 (estimated)||$250 (estimated)|
|Personal Expenses||$500 (estimated)||$500 (estimated)|
|Transportation||$400 (estimated)||$1,200 (flight)
$300 local transportation (estimated)
|Immigration||N/A||$145 (passport) $160 (visa)|
|Other||Included: Cultural activities,
The Budget Worksheet is an itemized list of costs for the program which typically include a breakdown of tuition, fees, housing, meals, and other expenses.
Notes for completing the Budget Worksheet:
- Keep a copy of the completed budget, as you will need to bring a copy to any study abroad meeting you have with the Office of Financial Aid.
- Research what is included in large charges. For example, in some affiliated programs the program charge may include airport pickup and activities.
- If meals are included be sure to check to see if you are covered over the weekends. You are not provided meals when doing personal travel so make sure you budget for your day/weekend getaways.
- While students can purchase single-direction flights, you should include the total cost of airfare on the worksheet.
Though the worksheet guides you in estimating certain costs, you can find additional information in the resources below. Study abroad requires participants to plan for both academic costs and personal travel expenses. IPS staff does not provide estimated costs for additional personal travel and activities. It is important to keep in mind the differences between cost of living and currency exchange rates when compared to living in Millersville, PA. For example, living in a large city like New York City or Paris will be more expensive than living in Millersville or other areas of the world where cost of living may be less. Traveling around while you are already abroad is an additional expense for which you must also plan for realistically. Always keep your additional travel plans in financial perspective.
Exchange Rates (You can view current and historical exchanges rates within the last 6 months)
State Department Foreign Per Diem Rates (The M&IE Meals and Incidentals rate provides a daily estimate for food and living expenses)
Kayak Flight Search (Can be used to estimated general costs of flights)
CIBT Visa Services (Can estimate cost of visa, as well as provide information on the visa application)
Budget Your Trip (Cost of living estimates)
Date Calculator (Used to calculate the # of weeks you will be abroad)
Using Financial AidMillersville University students are able to use their financial aid towards their study abroad experience depending on a few factors such as term, length of program, and credit earned. The Office of International Programs & Services (IPS) recommends that you make an appointment with the Office of Financial Aid to discuss your specific financial situation, regardless if you plan to use federal or state aid towards your program.
Complete a Budget Worksheet and review the Financial Policies and the suggested questions below prior to your meeting with the Financial Aid Office.
- How much is your current aid? Is that expected to be the same next year?
- How much can be applied to study abroad?
- How much will financial aid cover towards your total expenses?
- When will your financial aid get disbursed? (Before you leave, or after you are already in-country?)
- How much will you need to save out-of-pocket?
- How much money will you need up-front vs. at a later date?
- Is study abroad affordable for you now, vs. a later term?
ScholarshipsIf you are interested in applying to National/State scholarships, government or other organizational scholarships, they typically have an earlier deadline than the deadline to apply for study abroad through Millersville. You must start your scholarship research and applications early. It is recommended that you begin researching scholarships at the same time you are researching programs.
Check out the following web page to get you started: Scholarships