Join the School of Social Work and the Department of Geography on an alternative spring break environmental justice experience to Costa Rica lead by Drs. Karen Rice and Kathleen Schreiber. Participants will have an opportunity for cultural immersion, service learning, and development of knowledge and skills related to social justice and human rights advocacy that fosters both professional and personal growth. This program specifically addresses the social justice, environmental health, and economic fairness components of sustainability applied to development in Costa Rica.
- Organic farming
- Rainforest reforestation project
- Tropical rainforest canopy tour
- Sustainable farm tour
- Fair Trade coffee cooperative tour
This program is a service learning experience and is not offered for academic credit, however, students interested in participating in this program for credit, should contact Dr. Kathleen Schreiber at 717-871-7162 or Kathleen.Schreiber@millersville.edu to discuss their options.
Tentative Program Dates:
March 10 -18, 2018
November 1, 2017
EXTENDED DEADLINE: November 21, 2017 - This program is currently full.
The anticipated cost for this program is approximately $2,600
For a detailed cost breakdown, please review the following MU Guided: Costa Rica - Cost Worksheet
This cost includes:
This cost does not include:
- In-country transportation
- In-country activities/excursions
- Most meals
*If you do not have a passport, you must apply for one IMMEDIATELY. Keep in mind that it takes 4 - 6 weeks to receive a passport.
- International Student Identity Card (ISIC): depending on insurance plan selected
- Transportation to/from US airport
- Passport (How to Apply for a Passport)*
- Personal expenses (souvenirs and other daily expenses)
- Meals during travel dates
- Costa Rica exit fee
- MU tuition and fees if taking for academic credit
|$300 (Non-refundable fee applied toward cost)
||November 1, 2017
||December 1, 2017
||January 30, 2018
||February 23, 2018
Review the detailed payment instructions in the application located on the Global Education Portal.
Housing is arranged by SOL Education, the program provider.
Participants will all stay together in a cabin.
Participants will split into pair and stay with host families.
Study Abroad Eligibility Criteria
To review the full Millersville University study abroad policy, please view the Governance Manual webpage
- Students must have completed a minimum of 24 college credits (individual programs may have higher requirements) prior to departure. Credit requirements for faculty/staff-led programs (Guided Programs) can be reduced. Students may submit their application for the upcoming study abroad term during the semester in which they complete the minimum credit requirements.
- Students must have a cumulative 2.0 GPA at time of application (individual programs may have higher requirements), and maintain their GPA prior to departure.
- Students must be in good judicial standing. The opportunity to study abroad may be denied based on a student’s judicial standing with the University as defined in the Student Code of Conduct. Judicial standing will be evaluated at the time of the student’s initial application and monitored before his/her departure until the student returns from their experience abroad. A student is required to abide by MU’s Code of Conduct while abroad. Any incidents while abroad that violate MU’s Code of Conduct will be processed by Millersville’s Judicial Affairs Office. If a student is required to withdraw from a study abroad program for academic or conduct reasons, either before or after the program officially begins, no money will be refunded. Note: A suspension from MU encompasses all university activities, which includes study abroad.
- Students must demonstrate the personal maturity, responsibility, cross-cultural understanding, and the stress management skills necessary for a successful study abroad experience.
- Students must pay all applicable fees. This includes but is not limited to application fees, participation fees, and the fee for international health and travel insurance through MU’s insurance provider.
- Students must successfully complete the pre-departure process after approval is granted by Global Education. For students who do not complete the pre-departure process, Global Education reserves the right to revoke their program approval.
Complete an application using the Global Education Portal by clicking "Apply Now
" at the top or bottom of this page.
The deadline for completing all application materials is
November 1, 2017
- EXTENDED DEADLINE November 21, 2017. This program is currently full.
For specific questions about the program details, contact Dr. Karen Rice for additional information at (717) 871-4651 or email Karen.Rice@millersville.edu.
For specific questions about the study abroad process, contact Global Education at (717)-871-7506 or e-mail Global.Education@millersville.edu.