Skip to content

Opportunities After Graduation

The Office of International Programs and Services has not reviewed or partnered with any of the resources listed on this webpage. It is important to do thorough research into any program or opportunity you apply for. IPS also does not officially advise students on international experiences that will take place after you graduate from Millersville University. However, we encourage it! So if you are interested in extending your interest in all things international, we have provided a list to start your research.

The Peace Corps volunteer program allows you the chance to fully integrate into a host country community, where you will live and work on projects ranging from education to business development. Primary areas of interest to the program are education, Agriculture, Community Development, Health, etc. This is also a great program and resume booster for those seeking to work in the government in the future! 
Work Abroad programs can be great as resume boosters or as a way to put your foot in the door in a particular industry. It’s also a great way to earn money and gain global skills while traveling. There are various options from teaching English (listed separately), the cruise industry, Child Care/Au Pair, Science and Healthcare, Hospitality and Tourism, Government internships and jobs, and more. 

Job Resources: (Volunteering abroad) (Government internships and careers) (Short term and long term cruise contracts) (Au Pair programs, language exchanges, and internships)

Informational Resources:
5 Ways Recruiting is Different in Europe - by Novorésumé

Domestic Programs:
AmeriCorps: AmeriCorps members and volunteers serve directly with nonprofit organizations across the U.S. to tackle our nation’s most pressing challenges.
Teaching English overseas is great for both education and non-education majors. Many countries do not require you to have a degree in education, some only require a bachelor’s degree and a TOEFL certificate (or equivalent) which you can earn online or are included in some positions' training program. You can teach in various types of schools including public, private, religious, international, after-school academies, and even teach adults in different industries! You can check out a small sampling of programs and jobs in the links below.


Teaching Assistance Program (France)
The Teaching Assistant Program in France offers you the opportunity to work in France for 7 months, teaching English to French students of all ages. Each year, over 1,100 American citizens and permanent residents teach in public schools across all regions of metropolitan France and in the overseas departments of French such as Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique and Réunion.

EPIK Program (South Korea)
The EPIK Program is an employment opportunity that allows young professionals to live and work throughout South Korea in public schools. EPIK participants are English teachers and have a minimum contract length of one year. Participants receive a salary, pension, settlement fee, free housing, and insurance. To review benefits and working conditions review the following website.

JET Program (Japan)
The JET Program is a competitive employment opportunity that allows young professionals to live and work in cities, towns, and villages throughout Japan. JET Program participants are not only teachers and public servants–they are cultural ambassadors of the United States to Japan, and only the best candidates are chosen to represent America. Most participants serve as Assistant Language Teachers (ALTs) and work in public and private schools throughout Japan

Fulbright U.S Student Program
The Fulbright U.S. Student Program provides grants for individually designed study/research projects or for English Teaching Assistant Programs. During their grants, Fulbrighters will meet, work, live with and learn from the people of the host country, sharing daily experiences. The program facilitates cultural
exchange through direct interaction on an individual basis in the classroom, field, home, and in routine tasks, allowing the grantee to gain an appreciation of others’ viewpoints and beliefs, the way they do things, and the way they think.
Many of MU’s past study abroad participants travel back overseas to gain Master’s degrees. Students have gone back to their exchange universities, such as Philipps-Universität Marburg in Germany and Queen’s University Belfast in Northern Ireland! 
Some European universities charge little to no tuition for studies regardless of nationality, while others can be similar costs to U.S. education. Just remember that not all international universities are recognized by US federal loans providers, and may not pay for you to get a degree abroad. You can check the website to see a current list of approved universities.

What is the difference between schools that are listed as “eligible” and schools that are listed as “deferment only”
Eligible means that U.S. students may borrow money through the U.S. federal student aid programs administered by the U.S. Department of Education (the Department) while enrolled in an eligible program at an eligible foreign university or college. “Deferment Only” means that U.S. students may defer making payments on existing federal student loan accounts while enrolled in an eligible program at a deferment only foreign university or college, but may not take out federal student loans for enrollment at the deferment-only foreign university or college. 

Will my degree be recognized?
Generally yes, as universities on the above list must be accredited. However, for some professions like education, law or medical professions, it may not be the best option as certifications are administered locally. 

Queens University Belfast: 
Graduate Program Search

Philipps-Universität Marburg:
Graduate Program Search

The Office of International Programs and Services and Millersville faculty will occasionally promote international MAPS: Marauders Abroad Programs to MU alumni and community members. These programs are offered based on faculty interest and availability. Programs may focus on service learning and volunteering, cultural experiences, or providing professional development or continuing education credit/hours.

Current MAPS offerings and Program Leader information can be found here. ​Contact the faculty Program Leader to see if you are eligible to apply.  
The Office of International Programs and Services partners with the organization Educators Abroad, to offer student teaching placements for undergraduate and graduate students. For those educators who already work in the field, they offer the Teachers, Go Abroad program, which provides short term professional development opportunities around the world. This program places you in a 2-8 week unpaid volunteer position in a school abroad. 

View program information on their website here
The Office of International Programs and Services (IPS) offers continuing education - ACT 48 graduate credit and non-credit ACT 48 hours in select MAPS: Millersville Abroad Programs let by Millersville University faculty. These trips take place in select international locations and provide a unique intercultural educational experience for participants. Programs may focus on pedagogical development, comparative study of education, STEM, social studies, or select topics. Reach out to the trip's Program Leader to determine eligibility. 

View program offerings on our website here