Skip to content

Grad School Abroad

Grad School Abroad

Many of MU’s past study abroad participants travel back overseas to gain Master’s degrees. Students have gone back to Philipps-Universität Marburg as well as Queen’s University Belfast. In fact, if you’ve studied abroad at Queen’s University Belfast and you go back for your Master’s degree, they will give you a tuition discount!
Some European universities charge little to no tuition for studies regardless of nationality. While others can be similar costs to U.S. education. Just remember that not all international universities are recognized by US federal loans providers, and will not pay for you to get a degree abroad. You can check the website to see a current list of approved universities. Queens University of Belfast is eligible!

What is the difference between schools that are listed as “eligible” and schools that are listed as “deferment only”? 
Eligible means that U.S. students may borrow money through the U.S. federal student aid programs administered by the U.S. Department of Education (the Department) while enrolled in an eligible program at an eligible foreign university or college. “Deferment Only” means that U.S. students may defer making payments on existing federal student loan accounts while enrolled in an eligible program at a deferment only foreign university or college, but may not take out federal student loans for enrollment at the deferment-only foreign university or college. 

Will my degree be recognized?
Generally yes, as universities on the above list must be accredited. However, for some professions like education, law or medical professions, it may not be the best option as certifications are administered locally. 

Queens University Belfast: (eligible) Philipps-Universität Marburg (deferment only)
Search Portals: