Study abroad requires a student to plan for both academic costs/fees and personal travel expenses. It is important to keep in mind the cost of living and currency exchange rates compared to costs associated with living in Millersville (for example, living in a large city will be more expensive than living in Millersville, however in other areas of the world, the cost of living may be less). Traveling while abroad is an additional expense for which you must also plan for realistically. Always keep your travel plans in financial perspective.
- Students participating in any study/intern abroad program pay a participation or administration fee to Global Education for each term that they are abroad. The fee for a subsequent term will be waived if, at the time of application, students indicate they will study/intern abroad for more than one term at the same program.
- Global Education prepares cost worksheets for all of the official MU study abroad programs (listed on our website). These worksheets take into account all academic costs to study abroad (including additional tuition, living expenses, passport fees, airfare, etc.). Global Education does not provide estimates for additional travel.
- If a student studies through an Affiliated or Non-MU program and they wish to use Financial Aid, the student is responsible for obtaining the costs to complete the Non-MU cost worksheet. Costs should be obtained from their program provider and the completed worksheet must be submitted to Global Education. If not using Financial Aid, the student may use the worksheet for their own financial planning purposes.
Summer Aid: Most students are required to be registered for a minimum of 6 credits in order to be eligible for financial aid. Any aid received during the summer will be deducted from the amount of aid available to you for the following academic year. Students who are enrolled in a course that is less than two weeks, may not be able to use their aid towards their study abroad program. Contact the Office of Financial Aid to determine eligibility for federal aid if your study abroad program is close to the 2 week minimum.
Full Academic Year or Spring Only: The release of financial aid for the following Academic Year, may be delayed while Millersville awaits the receipt of your academic transcript from the international institution. Transcripts from Spring semester study abroad will not arrive until early September. Because Millersville University cannot confirm that you have made “Successful Academic Progress” (SAP) in May, for the previous academic year without the transcript, your financial aid may be placed on hold until the transcript is received.
Federal: SAP is defined as earning 75% of ALL credits attempted at MU. (Example: A student completed 30 credits but earned 24 credits, therefore he/she earned 80%, calculated 24 ÷ 30, meaning he/she made successful academic progress and will not have issues with financial aid for the following academic year.).
State: SAP is defined as successfully completing, at minimum, 24 credits for the academic year.
We strongly encourage you to check your MAX account mid/late May to determine if you are identified as not making SAP. If you did not make SAP, you will receive an email from the Financial Aid Office and it will be stated on your MAX account.
What If You Do Not Make SAP? – Release Your Aid:
Federal Aid: To ensure that your federal aid is released without your study abroad transcript being received, we suggest you complete the Financial Aid Appeal Form by indicating that you are studying abroad. The official appeal form is accessible from the Financial Aid Office website and it is due in mid-June.
This process will release your federal aid even if the transcript has not yet arrived. Power of Attorney, processed prior to departure, may be required if you will need someone else to complete this form for you in your absence. This form can also be submitted as a scanned document via email with required signature(s).
Note: If your transcript is received, and you did not meet the minimum required Satisfactory Academic Progress, you will be required to immediately reimburse the Office of Financial Aid for any money already received. Failure to do so will result in a hold being placed on your account at Millersville University which will affect registration/graduation.
State Aid: Your PA State Aid cannot be appealed because of study abroad yet it will be retroactively released upon receipt of your study abroad transcript confirming Satisfactory Academic Progress.
Financial Aid Appeal
Students who have studied abroad for the academic year or spring semester, may need to complete a Financial Aid Appeal Form in Late May/Early June to ensure that you will receive FEDERAL financial aid for the coming school year. If you do not plan to receive federal financial aid, you do not need to complete this form.
How do you check if you need to do an appeal?
1) If you did not make SAP, you will receive an email from the Financial Aid Office and it will be stated on your MAX account. We strongly encourage you to check the financial aid section of your MAX account for the upcoming year in mid/late May to determine if you are identified as not making SAP.
Why do you need an appeal?
1) The release of federal financial aid for the following academic year may be delayed while Millersville awaits the receipt of your academic transcript from the international institution.
2) Millersville University cannot confirm that you have made “Successful Academic Progress” (SAP) in May, for the previous academic year without the transcript, thus your financial aid may be placed on hold until the transcript is received.
How to complete the appeal form?
1) Your statement should say: “The reason I have not made significant academic progress is due to the timing of my study abroad experience. During the (time-frame of study abroad: (example Spring of 2015)) I studied abroad through Millersville University's Global Education office in (location). My semester in (location) ended in (enter date). I expect my transcript will arrive and be processed in August or September which will show my proof of academic progress & earned credits during that time. Thank you for your consideration in advance.”
2) For additional documentation we recommend you add a copy of the study abroad acceptance we emailed you from our office.
- Your financial aid package may be affected if you receive a scholarship. You are responsible for contacting the Financial Aid Office to determine how your award impacts you directly.
Scholarship Resources: The Cost & Funding webpage (This is just one of many websites which list scholarship opportunities.) Global Education is able to offer a limited number of scholarship opportunities on a semester by semester basis to Millersville students. MU’s study abroad scholarships are possible due to the generosity of MU study abroad alumni and other supportive benefactors. Scholarship applications must be submitted along with a completed study abroad application.
Refund Policies: If your program is cancelled, you withdraw, or are deemed ineligible from an MU study abroad program:
MU Costs: You will not be refunded any of the program costs that you've paid to MU, including charges such as tuition, fees, and accommodation, unless and until, the international partner or other involved third party reimburses Global Education/Millersville University or releases Global Education/Millersville University from its financial obligation.
Outside Vendors: If funds are not paid directly to MU, any refunds and transfers are only possible depending upon the individual policies of the other vendors, such as but not limited to, immigration fees, airfare, accommodations, etc. Global Education advises you to purchase fully refundable airline tickets and/or trip cancellation insurance to safeguard yourself against losses or penalties. Global Education assumes no responsibility for such losses or penalties.
Included Activities/Excursions: Participants in any program who choose NOT to participate in a non-mandatory included program activity (such as a field trip,excursion, cultural event, etc.) will NOT be refunded any portion of the program fee.
Delay or Interruption: No full or partial refunds are given for temporary delay or interruption of your study abroad program, if the program concludes with you earning the credit for that term/program.
Study Abroad Application Fee: Students participating in any study/intern abroad program pay an application fee to Millersville University for each program that they apply to.
Study Abroad Participation Fee: Students participating in any study/intern abroad program pay a participation fee to Millersville University for each term that they are abroad. The fee for a subsequent term will be waived if, at the time of application, students indicate they will study/intern abroad for more than one term at the same program.
Study Abroad Administration Fee: Students participating in any MU Guided program pay an administration fee to Millersville University for each program that they apply to.
Program Cancellation: If a program is cancelled due to low enrollment, safety concerns, political or natural disasters, or other such unforeseen circumstances, you may be entitled to a refund of your Participation or Administration Fee. To request a refund or appeal a refund decision email Global.Education@Millersville.edu with a summary of your circumstance and supporting documentation.
Withdrawing from a Program: Study abroad program withdrawals due to extenuating circumstances must be made immediately in writing to your study abroad advisor in Global Education. If you receive any form of financial aid, such as federal, state, or scholarships, and withdraw from a study abroad program, you must also contact the Office of Financial Aid immediately as it may affect your financial aid package.The Application Fee, Participation Fee, and Administration Fee are non-refundable and non-transferable to other programs if you withdraw from the program for any reason.
Other Fees: Global Education at Millersville University and the international program abroad may encumber a number of expenses on your behalf well before you arrival at your study abroad destination (including tuition, fees, accommodations and other). Therefore, if you withdraw from a study abroad program after either Global Education or the international partner has incurred any expenses on your behalf, Global Education/Millersville University and/or the international institution/program will invoice you for these costs. This policy applies regardless of whether or not you have paid your program balance in full or not. The later the withdrawal, the less likely you will be able to obtain even a partial refund.
Extenuating circumstances that are potentially eligible for a refund are defined as:
- Medical: Can be physical, mental, emotional, etc. and requires documentation from attending physician.
- Illness/Death in the Immediate Family: Family medical emergency (surgery, long-term illness diagnosed) which requires documentation from attending physician. Death of an immediate family member—parents, guardians, siblings, children, spouses, registered domestic partners—does not include grandparents and requires appropriate documentation.
- Military Activation: Requires a copy of the military activation orders showing dates that conflict with the program dates.
- Unanticipated Change in Financial Situation: Termination of main source of income, filing of bankruptcy, etc. are examples of changes in financial situation and require appropriate documentation. Financial emergency does not include "did not understand what I was financially accountable for" nor does it include "not eligible for financial aid/did not receive a scholarship I was counting on."
- Other: A circumstance of other must be out of the student’s control and requires supporting documentation of situation, process and timeline.
Ineligibility from a Program: If a participant is required to withdraw from a study abroad program for conduct or academic reasons, no money will be refunded. Some circumstances include: GPA falls under the minimum required, suspended, sanctioned by the university, and others.
Outstanding Bills: Global Education reserves the right to put a hold on students’ Millersville University accounts if their MU bill, partner or non-partner invoices, housing facilities invoice or any company’s bill related to their study abroad experience are not paid. This hold prevents students from registering for subsequent classes and requesting transcripts until payment is complete. Additionally, outstanding invoices will prevent students’ study abroad transcripts from being processed. Global Education will also contact the home university of a non-Millersville participant to pursue similar actions. Upon proof of payment, Global Education will release the hold and release the study abroad transcripts to allow the processing of courses and credits to students’ Degree Audit.