With careful planning, students can financially prepare for their desired study abroad program. It is important that students prepare prior to applying to a program. When students wait until after acceptance or before departure, the delay frequently causes students to withdraw or defer. The following Financial Policies are important for you to review yourself and with family, who may share financial responsibility for your study abroad costs.
PAYMENT & REFUND POLICIES
- MU Costs: You will not be refunded any of the program costs that you've paid to MU, including charges such as tuition, fees, and accommodation, unless and until, the international partner or other involved third party reimburses the IPS Office/Millersville University or releases the IPS Office/Millersville University from its financial obligation.
- Outside Vendors: If funds are not paid directly to MU, any refunds and transfers are only possible depending upon the individual policies of the other vendors, such as but not limited to, immigration fees, airfare, accommodations, etc. The IPS Office advises you to purchase fully refundable airline tickets and/or trip cancellation insurance to safeguard yourself against losses or penalties. The IPS Office assumes no responsibility for such losses or penalties.
- Included Activities/Excursions: Participants in any program who choose NOT to participate in a non-mandatory included program activity (such as a field trip,excursion, cultural event, etc.) will NOT be refunded any portion of the program fee.
- Delay or Interruption: No full or partial refunds are given for temporary delay or interruption of your study abroad program, if the program concludes with you earning the credit for that term/program.
- $50 Study Abroad Application Fee: Students participating in any study/intern abroad program pay an application fee to Millersville University for each program that they apply to.
- $500 Study Abroad Participation Fee: Students participating in any study/intern abroad program pay a participation fee to Millersville University for each term that they are abroad. The fee for a subsequent term will be waived if, at the time of application, students indicate they will study/intern abroad for more than one term at the same program.
- $60 Study Abroad Administration Fee: Students participating in any MU Guided program pay an administration fee to Millersville University for each program that they apply to.
- Other Fees: The IPS Office at Millersville University and the international program abroad may encumber a number of expenses on your behalf well before you arrival at your study abroad destination (including tuition, fees, accommodations and other). Therefore, if you withdraw from a study abroad program after either the IPS Office or the international partner has incurred any expenses on your behalf, the IPS Office/Millersville University and/or the international institution/program will invoice you for these costs. This policy applies regardless of whether or not you have paid your program balance in full or not. The later the withdrawal, the less likely you will be able to obtain even a partial refund.
- Extenuating circumstances that are potentially eligible for a refund are defined as:
- Medical: Can be physical, mental, emotional, etc. and requires documentation from attending physician.
- Illness/Death in the Immediate Family: Family medical emergency (surgery, long-term illness diagnosed) which requires documentation from attending physician. Death of an immediate family member—parents, guardians, siblings, children, spouses, registered domestic partners—does not include grandparents and requires appropriate documentation.
- Military Activation: Requires a copy of the military activation orders showing dates that conflict with the program dates.
- Unanticipated Change in Financial Situation: Termination of main source of income, filing of bankruptcy, etc. are examples of changes in financial situation and require appropriate documentation. Financial emergency does not include "did not understand what I was financially accountable for" nor does it include "not eligible for financial aid/did not receive a scholarship I was counting on."
- Other: A circumstance of other must be out of the student’s control and requires supporting documentation of situation, process and timeline.
FEDERAL /STATE FINANCIAL AID
If you qualify for federal and/or PA state financial aid, you may apply it to your accredited study abroad program. After a student is accepted to study abroad, the IPS Office sends final cost estimates with currency conversions to the Financial Aid Office whereby Financial Aid will then recalculate a student’s aid package to determine if he/she is eligible to apply for additional aid.
Prior to submitting your study abroad application, it is strongly recommended that you take a copy of the program specific cost worksheet, or a completed Non-MU cost worksheet, to the Financial Aid Office to discuss financial planning. Depending upon your specific financial aid package, the Financial Aid Office will provide estimates of your revised financial aid packet to fund your study abroad experience. They are also able to inform you about alternative financing options available such as private loans.
- Summer Aid: Most students are required to be registered for a minimum of 6 credits in order to be eligible for financial aid. Any aid received during the summer will be deducted from the amount of aid available to you for the following academic year. Students who are enrolled in a course that is less than two weeks, may not be able to use their aid towards their study abroad program. Contact the Office of Financial Aid to determine eligibility for federal aid if your study abroad program is close to the 2 week minimum.
- Full Academic Year or Spring Only: The release of financial aid for the following Academic Year, may be delayed while Millersville awaits the receipt of your academic transcript from the international institution. Transcripts from Spring semester study abroad will not arrive until early September. Because Millersville University cannot confirm that you have made “Successful Academic Progress” (SAP) in May, for the previous academic year without the transcript, your financial aid may be placed on hold until the transcript is received.
Federal: SAP is defined as earning 75% of ALL credits attempted at MU. (Example: A student completed 30 credits but earned 24 credits, therefore he/she earned 80%, calculated 24 ÷ 30, meaning he/she made successful academic progress and will not have issues with financial aid for the following academic year.).
State: SAP is defined as successfully completing, at minimum, 24 credits for the academic year.
We strongly encourage you to check your MAX account mid/late May to determine if you are identified as not making SAP. If you did not make SAP, you will receive an email from the Office of Financial Aid and it will be stated on your MAX account. Appeal forms can be found on the Financial Aid Website.
An appeal can be filed for the release of Federal Aid using study abroad as the reason for your appeal however State Aid will not accept studying abroad to release your aid. State Aid is only issued after your study abroad transcript is received and you are confirmed as eligible to receive aid.
Most countries do not allow international students to legally work abroad, or if they do, the country may charge additional fees for the student work visa. Regardless of whether a country allows you to be employed, the IPS Office does not recommend you are employed while abroad due to the uncertainty of securing work and the difficulty of working while studying in a new country. Keep this in mind when considering your available finances for your experience abroad.
- Scholarship Website This is websites lists outside scholarship opportunities.
- The IPS Office is able to offer a limited number of scholarship opportunities on a semester by semester basis to Millersville students. MU’s study abroad scholarships are possible due to the generosity of MU study abroad alumni and other supportive benefactors. Scholarship applications must be submitted along with a completed study abroad application.