Skip to content

Affiliated & Non-MU

Affiliated Study Abroad Programs

Affiliated programs are generally run by an organization, company or program provider that has an official agreement with Millersville University. Students participating in these programs take their courses at the Affiliates' partner institutions or centers with other American and international students. Students studying abroad through an affiliated program must adhere to the general Study Abroad requirements and policies of Millersville University, however, students should consult the specific Affiliate’s program website for detailed program and cost information.
MOSAIC: Maryville UniversityMOSAIC Webpage
MOSAIC is a summer study abroad program coordinated by Maryville University. Maryville University offers short-term courses abroad (referred to as MOSAIC) in which some Millersville faculty teach. Academic credit is granted by Maryville University. Program lengths range from ten days to five weeks during the summer session.
AIFS American Institute of Foreign Studies - AIFS Webpage
API: Academic Programs International - API Webpage
ISA: International Studies AbroadISA Webpage
Affiliated programs are generally run by a third party organization or program provider. The Office of International Programs & Services has a direct relationship with the third party provider. Students participating in these programs take their courses at the Affiliates' partner institutions or centers as part of a cohort. MU is connected to three program providers with international institutions. These study abroad providers run both short term and long term study abroad programs all over the world. 

Non-Millersville Study Abroad Programs

No matter the program you are interested in, you are required to apply for study abroad approval through the Office of International Programs and Services. Before being permitted to apply to the Affiliated or Non-MU program, they must first receive approval from our office to verify that the program meets all of the necessary requirements for credit transfer. Students may then apply to the Non-MU Study Abroad Application during the regular study abroad application cycle. 

Below are the steps to study abroad through a Non-MU Program:
1. Research study abroad programs. If there are multiple countries you are considering as a study abroad destination, you will need to do some research to narrow down your options. Determine which country has programs that will best suit your academic, personal, and financial needs.
  • Search a study abroad data base such as IIE Passport Guide
  • Study Abroad through other Pennsylvania State System Universities' programs. 
  • Study Abroad through other US university programs. 
2. Select a study abroad program. When choosing a program there are many factors to keep in mind:
  • Program location – country, city vs. rural, university
  • Program costs (Be sure to carefully read what the costs include. One program may seem more expensive than another, but it may be because it includes meal options, room and board, excursions, etc. while the other program may only include tuition.)
  • GPA requirements of the program
  • Language requirements of the program and what language the courses are taught in. Do you meet the proficiency?
  • Course offering and credit equivalences – Does this institution offer courses that will ensure you can make academic progress? Are you looking to take classes in your major/minor or mostly general education courses? Ask your advisor and department chair if there are any restrictions as to which courses can be taken abroad. Some departments have their own requirements on what courses can be transferred in and what ones must be taken at MU. In most cases, credit equivalencies are determined by contact hours.
  • Make note of who is issuing the transcript. In order to transfer credit to Millersville, credit must be issued by an accredited university. (In some cases you may be required to pay an additional fee for this.)
3. Complete the following forms: Submit the above forms along with proof to the answers you provide to Submit one packet per Non-MU program you want approved. It takes about one week to review. Once you have received approval regarding your desired program, you may then complete your Non-MU Program application through our office.

Note: If your Non-MU program has a deadline that is near to or earlier than Millersville's application deadline, you will be given an earlier specific deadline.