PARTICIPANT: Important Information
Preparing to study abroad requires time, planning, and organizational skills. Once you have been approved to study abroad, there are still more steps to take.Once you receive your acceptance e-mail from the Office of International Programs & Services you will be notified to log back into your account on the Portal to complete additional paperwork. In this stage, you will work on important forms for your study abroad program, gather flight information, and other important documents that you will need to complete before you depart the country.
Some items on the Pre-Departure stage have early deadlines. You should start these as soon as possible otherwise it may hinder your ability to participate in the program. Below is a sample of what you may need to complete at this stage.
- Complete all Pre-Departure paperwork in your Portal
- Complete your specific program application documents
- Complete: Transfer of Credit Form
- Complete International Health & Travel Insurance paperwork
- Any other documents and forms related to your specific program which will be listed on your application.
- Meet with the Financial Aid Office if you have not yet done so.
- Review the Study Abroad Academic Policies
- Review the Study Abroad Financial Policies
- Review the Health & Safety Abroad website
- Attend the required Pre-Departure Orientation (details are emailed to students upon their program acceptance)
Study Abroad Handbook & Resources
Read the handbook thoroughly and prepare a list of questions for Pre-Departure Orientation. It is recommended to share your handbook with your guests coming with you to orientation.
READ the Study Abroad Handbook and the Health and Safety Abroad website in their entirety and prepare questions before the study abroad orientation.
SHARE the resources with any person involved in the decision making process for your study abroad experience. Many questions can be answered by reviewing these resources and others on our website.
ENSURE that you have access to your handbook to reference during your travels. You may download it and keep a copy on your phone, laptop, or print it.
Pre-Departure Orientation is mandatory. Because of this, the date, time and location is included with your study abroad acceptance email. This orientation is CRUCIAL to prepare you for going abroad and is required for all students who have been accepted to study abroad. Complete as much of your Pre-Departure paperwork as you can, and read the Study Abroad Handbook carefully to prepare a list of questions to bring with you to orientation. Friends and/or family are encouraged to attend the orientation with you, but not for you.