Skip to content

Transfer Credit

Before Departure: International Course Evaluations

The International Course Evaluation Form provides pre-determined course equivalencies for each requested course. It lists the amount of credit each course will receive, the equivalent MU course, and any degree audit attributes the course will provide. An evaluation may also include overrides to the pre-determined equivalency that provide the student will a different or additional information. 

A student may request one (1) course evaluation during any of the following study abroad phases: Advising, Application, or Getting Ready to Go. When you submit the request may depend on when courses for the specific term you are interested in are available. You may wish to know the information during advising or wait until right before your departure when updated course lists are available. IPS realizes that due to the differing academic systems around the world, accessing course lists, descriptions, and syllabi for the next term may not be possible early on in the study abroad cycle. A student may request one (1) updated course evaluation during the While Abroad phase, if there are alternate courses that were not previously reviewed. By this time, students have finalized their course schedules. 

Request an International Course Evaluation by emailing with the following:
  • List of all courses for evaluation (provide more courses than you will register for you that you have back-up course options)
  • Course descriptions for each course (via a link to a website, screen shot, or download file)
  • Syllabi for each course (if available; via a link to a website, screen shot, or download file)
Sample Course Evaluation
When the student receives the evaluation, they are encouraged to meet with their academic advisor to review their degree audit and make a course plan for their study abroad program of choice. Sample topics for conversation:
  • Their academic goals for study abroad.
  • What term do you want to study abroad? Studying abroad next term vs. in a future term has different implications for academic planning. 
  • Review your degree audit. How does study abroad impact making academic progress?
  • Will "X" course count for a major requirement?
  • Will "X" course for a general education requirement?
Note: Review the Study Abroad Academic Policies if there are any questions. 


For undergraduate students, academic advisors may submit overrides to pre-determined course equivalencies by completing a Study Abroad Transfer of Credit Form. This form can be completed for all courses or select individual courses. The form should be completed prior to departure so that the initial International Course Evaluation Form can be updated.

For graduate students, all graduate credit must be approved by the College of Graduate Studies and Adult Learning during the Application phase. 

You will need to make an appointment to meet with your academic advisor (undergraduate) or graduate program coordinator (graduate) and bring the following documentation:
  • The International Course Evaluation Form (If you requested one with IPS)
  • Transfer of Credits Form (there is a separate form for graduate credit)
  • A list of course options you are interested in taking
  • Course descriptions and/or syllabi if available
  • Your degree audit or graduation plan (Optional)
  • Grade Equivalency Chart (provided by IPS for graduate students) 
Study Abroad Transfer of Credits Form

  • The Office of International Programs & Services (IPS) processes all undergraduate credit earned on a study abroad program. 
  • An e-copy is sufficient if sent to directly from an academic advisor. 
  • Syllabi are not officially used in all academic systems around the world. On occasion you will only be able to access a course description. Students are then encouraged to reach out to individual programs and/or the international professor of the course, to get a list of course texts or additional information. Your academic advisor will let you know what they need to make the determination. 
  • It is the responsibility of the Department/Advisor to determine the course equivalencies for courses taken abroad. Students should NOT complete the Department/Advisor section. If the course is housed in a department that your Department/Advisor is not in, that department should be contacted for guidance to determine an equivalency for that course. 
Graduate Transfer of Credit Form

Upon Your Return: Processing your Transfer Credit 

Upon the completion of your study abroad program, your host university/program should send transcripts directly to the Office of International Programs & Services (IPS) - NOT the Registrar's Office. In some cases, your program will not automatically send your transcript to Millersville and you will need to request one. If you manually request an e-transcript, send it to If you manually request a hardy copy, use the following address:

ATTN: Study Abroad Transcript
Millersville University
International Programs & Services
Lyle Hall, First Floor
40 Dilworth Road,
Millersville, PA, USA 17551

For undergraduate students, if your Transfer of Credits Form matches the courses listed on your international transcript, IPS will process your courses/credit within 3 weeks. When all forms and transcripts are completed, signed, and received by IPS, IPS staff will process the courses and credits onto the student's degree audit, as well as any Perspectives and/or Diversity waivers. The documents are then sent to the Registrar's Office for finalizing. The Registrar's Office completes any specific degree audit section instructions listed on the transfer of credit form. The entire process between the IPS Office and the Registrar's Office can take three (3) weeks, or longer if there are delays in receiving completed forms. 

For graduate students, your transcript and any documentation on file with IPS will be provided to the College of Graduate Studies and Adult Learning. They will processes all graduate credit earned on the study abroad program. This process may take up to six (6) weeks, or longer if there are delays in receiving completed forms.