Skip to content

Types of Programs


MU Global Opportunities: Study Abroad Options 

Study Abroad encompasses many different kinds of programs. To professional internships to non-credit service learning. In order to better understand the terminology Global Education will use during the advising process, see below for a list of the various kinds of study abroad:

Traditional Study Abroad:
  • MU Partner Programs: Partner programs have a direct relationship with Global Education. MU has a strong working relationship with these partners, they are site visited, MU students study there regularly and exchange students attend MU from many of these institutions.
  • Affiliated Programs: Affiliated programs are generally run by a third party organization or program provider. Global Education has a direct relationship with the third party provider. Students participating in these programs take their courses at the Affiliates' partner institutions or centers as part of a cohort. MU is connected to three program providers with international institutions.
    • American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS)
    • Academic Programs Abroad (API)
    • International Studies Abroad (ISA)
    • Maryville University's summer MOSAIC program
  • Non-Millersville Programs: If you wish to pursue a study abroad destination beyond the MU Partner Program offerings, you may choose to study abroad through another university’s programs or study abroad company. Non-MU programs must be approved by Global Education before students may apply to the Non-MU program. There are plenty of websites to help you narrow down your country, city, and university of interest. You can search study abroad databases of programs such as or you can research the study abroad options of other Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE) universities.
Professional Experiences Abroad There are several ways to gain professional “hands-on” experience in another culture, all while boosting your resume!
  • Internships: International internships are available to almost all majors and minors. Students may intern abroad for a semester or a summer session.
  • Social Work Senior Field Placement: Social Work majors can complete their senior field placement in Cape Town, South Africa, London, England and Dublin, Ireland.
  • Student Teaching: International student teaching placements are possible in various locations, during the second half of a student’s senior student teaching requirement.
MU Guided Programs:
If you are looking for a shorter study abroad experience, or a more guided experience, you can participate in a MU Course/Group Abroad. These are credit or non-credit service learning trips, courses or other guided experiences led by MU faculty or staff who take a group of students abroad. These can be for credit, typically 3-6 credits, or not for credit.