Study Abroad Scholarships
Millersville Study Abroad Scholarship OpportunitiesGlobal Education is able to offer a limited number of scholarship opportunities on a semester by semester basis. Millersville University's study abroad scholarships are possible due to the generosity of MU study abroad alumni and other supportive benefactors. These donors recognize the extraordinary impact that global education has upon professional and personal development and seek to inspire students to pursue international academic experiences during their time at Millersville.
General Eligibility Requirements:
- All scholarships are only available to regularly enrolled Millersville University students who have been officially accepted to study abroad by Global Education.
- Note: If an MU scholarship is awarded to a student studying abroad through a Non-MU program, the scholarship recipient must provide proof of acceptance to the Non-MU program in order for the scholarship to be disbursed.
- Student must submit a scholarship application with a completed Millersville study abroad application by the announced application deadline.
- Student must complete the entire pre-departure study abroad process, which includes submitting all application materials and pre-departure documents by the designated deadlines. Failure to complete the study abroad process satisfactorily and according to deadlines may jeopardize the student's scholarship eligibility.
- It is expected that the recipient will maintain satisfactory academic progress prior to departure and during the study abroad term.
- If the recipient of the scholarship should withdraw from his/her study abroad program at any time, the scholarship must be repaid in full to Millersville University immediately.
- Note: Scholarship recipients will be asked to send a note of appreciation to the scholarship donor.
To Apply:Scholarship applications are part of the Millersville study abroad application on the online Global Education Portal. To be considered for any available MU scholarship opportunity, your scholarship application must be completed by the study abroad application deadline.
International Social Work Field Placement applicants will receive the application and essay guidelines with their pre-departure paperwork.
Scholarship Disbursement Policies:
- All scholarships will be disbursed according to the regular Millersville disbursement cycle, as established by the Office of Financial Aid. Contact Financial Aid for details.
- If the recipient receives a Millersville bill for the costs associated with studying abroad, the scholarship will be automatically applied to his/her bill. If the recipient is not billed by Millersville, the scholarship will be disbursed directly to the student.
- If the scholarship recipient is studying abroad during a Summer session, he/she must complete a Summer Financial Aid Application with the Office of Financial Aid in order to have the scholarship disbursed with summer financial aid. The recipient must also communicate with the Development Office to notify them that he/she would like the scholarship applied to their Summer session.
- Note: If the scholarship recipient receives other forms of financial aid (loans, grants, other scholarships, etc.) he/she should contact the Office of Financial Aid regarding how the study abroad scholarship will impact their overall financial aid package.
Once Available: Click Here to Review MU Donor/Alumni Scholarships for this Application Cycle.
PASSHE/PSECU ScholarshipsPASSHE scholarships for study abroad are available for regularly enrolled Millersville University students, as well as other PASSHE students participating in Millersville University study abroad programs who have been accepted to study abroad by the Office of Global Education. Students must be Pell eligible. Check with the Financial Aid Office to see if you qualify.
Global Education will notify study abroad participants with details regarding PASSHE Scholarship opportunities and their respective applications, each semester. Typically, PASSHE scholarships for study abroad include the PASSHE and the PSECU scholarships.
PASSHE Study Abroad Award information will be sent to all students each semester.
Please visit the PSECU International Education webpage for more information on that scholarship.
General Study Abroad ScholarshipsThis website, StudyAbroadFunding.org, developed by the Institute for International Education and Educational Directories Unlimited, provides information on over 200 scholarships, grants, and fellowships for both undergraduate and graduate students outside the U.S. You can also look through the SPIN Funding Database website. Many of these scholarships have early deadlines, and you may be applying for scholarships before you even start your application to study abroad.
|Rotary International||Rotary International offers a broad range of humanitarian, intercultural, and educational programs and activities designed to improve the human condition and advance the organization's ultimate goal of world understanding and peace. Nine structured programs and nine service opportunities help clubs and districts achieve their service goals in their own communities and in communities abroad, fostering fellowship and goodwill in the process.||Please visit the Rotary Website for more information.|
|Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants||Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants are designed to help support undergraduates as they seek knowledge and experience in their academic fields by studying abroad. Fifty $1,000 grants are awarded each year. These grants are competitive with an annual deadline of mid February.||Please visit Phi Kappa Phi Grants & Awards Webpage for more information.|
|Fund for Education Abroad||The mission of the Fund for Education Abroad (FEA) is to provide scholarships and ongoing support to students who are underrepresented among the US study abroad population. FEA makes life-changing, international experiences accessible to all by supporting minority and first-generation college students before, during, and after they participate in education abroad programs.||Please visit the scholarship website for more information.|
|AIFS Study Abroad||This scholarship is eligible for students applying to an AIFS study Abroad program. To be considered, you must be applying to an AIFS program, and complete the MU Scholarship questionnaire on your study abroad application.||Please visit AIFS' website to see a list of programs.|
|API Study Abroad||This scholarship is eligible for students applying to an API study Abroad program. To be considered, you must be applying to an API program, and complete the MU Scholarship questionnaire on your study abroad application.||Please visit API's website to see a list of programs.|
|ISA Study Abroad||This scholarship is eligible for students applying to an ISA study Abroad program. To be considered, you must be applying to an ISA program, and complete the MU Scholarship questionnaire on your study abroad application.||Please visit ISA's website to see a list of programs|
|Experience Germany - Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals||The CBYX is a cultural program designed for individuals between the ages of 18 and 24. This cultural immersion program includes university study and an internship. The study abroad scholarship includes airfare, some travel costs, language training, housing and living expenses, as well as other program related costs.||Please visit http://www.cdsintl.org/cbyx for more information.|
|DAAD Scholarship (Deutcher Akademischer Austausch Dienst)||The DAAD scholarship is designed for third and fourth year students seeking to study abroad in Germany. This scholarshp covers study abroad and exchanges and internships, and the program must be between 4 months (one semester) and 10 months (one academic year). This includes a monthly stipend, insurance and a travel allowance.||Please visit DAAD Scholarship Webpage for more information.|
|BUTEX Scholarship (British Universities Transatlantic Exchange Association)||The BUTEX scholarship is for students studying abroad for either one semester or one (UK) academic year. All of MU partner universities in the UK are eligible for this scholarship.||Please visit the BUTEX Scholarship Webpage for more information.|
|AASCU-Chinese Government Scholarship (American Association of State Colleges and Universities)||The AASCU-Chinese Government Scholarship is offered every year, and is due in mid-March. Students studying abroad for one academic year (from Sept-July) are eligible to apply. The scholarship includes tuition and fees, room and board, insurance, and travel allowance.||Please visit the AASCU Scholarship Webpage for more information.|
|Bridging Scholarships||The Bridging Project offers scholarships to American undergraduate students participating in study abroad programs in Japan. Funding comes from the US-Japan Bridging Foundation and run by the American Assoc. of Teachers of Japanese. Knowledge of Japanese is not a prerequisite. Short term summer programs are not eligible.||Please visit the American Association of Teachers of Japanese for more information.|
|JASSO Scholarship||Kansai Gaidai qualifies for the Short-Term Student Exchange Promotion Program Scholarship of the JASSO (Japan Student Services Organization).
These scholarships are available for those students who come from our affiliated institutions.
|Check out the JASSO Website for more information.|
|Asia Institute-PACIE Joint Scholarship.||This scholarship supports global research, internships, and study abroad programs in Asia and is open to students attending universities and colleges in Pennsylvania.||Click here for more information from the Asia Institute.|
National ScholarshipsOne great resource for national scholarship opportunities is StudyAbroad.State.Gov.
|NSEP David L. Boren Scholarships for Undergraduate Students & NSEP David L. Boren Fellowship for Graduate Students||This scholarship offers opportunities for U.S. undergraduate student to study less commonly taught languages in world regions critical to the U.S. interests but underrepresented in study abroad. Available to all undergraduate U.S. citizens, enrolled in U.S. institutions and planning to study one the above described languages, this scholarship can be applied to programs lasting an academic year, a semester or a summer program that will last at least 8 weeks for freshman or sophomores, or science and engineering majors. Preference will be given to students studying abroad for a full academic year.
The graduate fellowship is designed to encourage students of master’s and doctoral programs to add a language component to their education both domestically and overseas. Special opportunities are available for students studying in Asia.
|Please visit Boren Awards Webpage for more information.|
|Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program||This scholarship offers grants to undergraduate students who are of limited financial means to pursue study abroad or internships abroad. Students must be receiving a Federal Pell Grant or provide proof that they will be receiving a Pell Grant at the time of application. Programs must be at least four weeks and no longer than one academic year.
Applicants who are studying a critical need language while abroad will also be considered for the Critical Need Language Award. Critical need languages include: Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Indic (Hindi, Urdu, Nepali, etc.), Korean, Russian and several others.
|Please visit Gilman Scholarship Webpage for more information.|